With no ETA for the full release of Hakchi 2 coming soon for the SNES Classic, a beta version has suddenly appeared online. From the neogaf message forums, a user by the name of Robin64 posted this beta version online (or leaked it). The update is at the bottom of the post.
Instructions to use it are as follows:
1) With the SNES Mini attached to your PC via USB, hold reset, turn the Mini on, wait a few seconds, then release reset. The light will not be on.
2) Go to Kernel, Dump Kernel. Install the driver if prompted. DO NOT lose this file, ever.
3) Go to Kernel, Flash Custom Kernel. Your SNES Mini is now haxed.
3a) Optional, but recommended if you aren’t doing too many games. Go to Settings, Pages/Folders Structure and pick Disable.
4) From now on, simply use the Add Games button, pick your SNES ROM, fill out the details, assign some box art..
5) And when you’re done, hit the Sync button bottom right.
6) Now turn the SNES off, wait a moment, then turn it back on without holding reset. The light will come on, your new games will appear.
Also, there has been tested progress made on this beta version, currently the following games are confirmed to not work/have issues:
What doesn’t work right now?
Illusion of Gaia
Dragon Quest III
Tales of Phantasia
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Far East Eden of Zero
Great Circus Caper
Top Gear 3000
Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension
What games exhibit problems?
Treasure of the Rudras (hi-res text is blurry)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (hi-res components are blurry)
Uniracers (opponent always drawn in center of screen)
Smash Tennis (screen stretches outside of the confines of the TV)
Earthworm Jim 2 (audio issues)
Krusty’s Super Fun House (graphics corruptions)
Air Strike Force (no shadow, garbled graphics at briefing, blurry hi-res text)
While we all wait for the full release of Hakchi2, confirmed to have compression as well, this should hold over everyone who wants to mod their Snes Classic.
Until next time, Mgs2master2 out!
Official beta has been released by Cluster but we don’t see any big difference other than a few bug fixes since this not a leak of the beta or whatever you want to call it on neogaf, since it did not come from Cluster himself.
It looks like the final release is scheduled for sometime today or tomorrow! If you are hesitant about installing and running the beta, the final release should hit very soon.