The long awaited time has come for one and all. Anyone that has been waiting on an official jailbreak complete with Cydia on iOS 11 can now breathe easy! That’s right, Electra has come and it brings with it support from iOS 11 to 11.1.2! Let me give you all of the information that you could need about Electra and also some quick instructions!
Disclaimer from the Electra Team:
‘Electra is a free jailbreak tool for iOS 11.0 – 11.1.2. It is recommended to futurerestore before running Electra, although we have tested it to work if you are upgrading from an existing liberiOS or Electra beta installation. Although Electra itself should be safe, we are not responsible for any damage that may be caused to your iOS installation by any tweaks or executables you load after the jailbreak.’
Important Information to know before Jailbreaking:
- ‘An APFS snapshot is created of / so you may revert it at a later date if needed
- It is recommended to futurerestore if you have blobs before running Electra to ensure the best possible installation
- Cydia is included
- OpenSSH is running on port 22
- Electra repo added by default
- Substitute, Tweak Loader and Substrate Compatibility Layer available from Electra repo
- Many packages need to be updated for both Electra and iOS 11 (make sure they’re updated before installing as they may not work yet)
- RocketBootstrap 1.0.6 or higher is required for use on iOS 11
- Many apps, launch daemons and installation binaries are broken as they require entitlements to be added’
Changelogs and Previous Versions”
- Fix some false positives where Electra would think topanga was installed when only liberiOS was
1. Initial Release’
- Optional, but you really should plug your iDevice in and back it up in iTunes.
- Leave your iDevice plugged into the computer and close iTunes.
- Download the most up to date Cydia Impactor from here.
- Download the most up to date Electra from here.
- Run Cydia Impactor as Administrator (on Windows).
- Drag the Electra IPA file onto the Cydia Impactor window.
- It will prompt you to sign in with your Apple login. Do so now.
- Once that’s done, unplug your phone. Go into the Settings app.
- Now under Settings go to General and then Profile(s) & Device Management.
- Select your profile that you just used to install Electra with. Press Trust and then Trust again.
- Now go to your home screen, find Electra, start it for the first time.
- At the bottom of the screen you will see a toggle switch called Tweaks, make certain that this is enabled (switch is to the right).
- Now press Jailbreak in the middle of the screen.
- At some point while you wait, you’ll see a progress report letting you know that the APFS screenshot was taken. That is a good thing.
- Press Continue Jailbreak at that time and proceed to wait.
- After it’s done you’ll have Cydia on your home screen!
- Optional, but you really should make certain that SemiRestore is installed now that you have Cydia. Read the note below.
Note: The APFS Screenshot, as I mentioned, is a good thing. It’s like a snapshot in time so if everything fails you (or just one tweak), you can go back to that snapshot point. This is fantastic as it allows you to jump back in time without having to restore to stock or potentially update the device. Just always have SemiRestore on your phone and you’ll always be able to go back.
Credits (so that you know who to follow on Twitter)
- ‘Packaged by CoolStar
- Exploit by Ian Beer
- Trust cache injection and rootfs patch by xerub
- Zone map address fixup by Siguza
- jailbreakd, launchd patch, setuid patch, dylib injection and Safe Mode by CoolStar
- amfid patch and entitlement injection by theninjaprawn
- unlocknvram, initial dropbear work, substitute compilation fix by stek29
- sandbox mitigations by stek29 and coolstar’
If you like the author’s work, follow him on Twitter @V1RACY
And as always, stay tuned here on Hackinformer.com for so much more and follow us on Twitter @Hackinformer