How is this not bigger news? Literally more people bought and praised the Sega Genesis Mini than ever did with the PlayStation Classic! Nevertheless, Project Lunar has been released in its 1.0 form. We’ll talk about what it is, what it entails, and soon we’ll have a separate article explaining how to install and use it! Scroll on, dear reader.
What is Project Lunar?
‘Project Lunar is a fully fledged modification tool for the SEGA Mega Drive / GENESIS Mini. It allows users to add games, mods and ports whilst also including a large array of extra features and quality of life improvements. It consists of an on console payload and bespoke desktop application for the PC and is extremely easy to use.’
What Features Does it Have?
- ‘Add your own selection of SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis roms to your console with use on the stock UI
- Manage your games, mods and configs via purpose built desktop PC application
- Full NAND backups before any customisation
- RetroArch bundled with Genesis GX Plus & PicoDrive. (MS,GG,MD,32X, MEGA CD support) (Also capable of playing other consoles by adding additional RetroArch cores)
- Performance tweaks and boosts (fix lag issues) (1.0ghz > 1.344ghz, ZRAM compression, DRAM SWAP)
- NAND (console only) and USB support
- OTG support
- exFat, NTFS, FAT32 filesystem support
- Extended gamepad compatibility
- USB2 and USB3 device support
- Customisable boot menu with built-in additional option menu & network manager.
- Ability to autoboot to selected boot items. (i.e. boot directly to stock UI)
- Additional third-party controller support
- Automatic Error recovery system (automatically reload to bootmenu if Stock E error occurs)
- Launch boot menu or RetroArch from the Stock UI
- EmulationStation support (optional mod package, USB only)
- ‘Fix’ stock scanlines by toggling smoothing off within stock emulator
- Bundled Wi-Fi support (Realtek 8188eu + 8187)
- RA MD mini cores downablable via RA using network adapter
- RA scraper and EmulationStation scrapers work using network adapter
- SSH/SFTP via RDNIS support
- Boot menu, splashscreen and music are all customisable
- Additional mod package support’