So well after a year of being dormant, Luma3DS is back with a huge major update. You’ll also see in the title that I mentioned that 10.0.1 has also released. The Luma3DS 10 is the major revision and the 10.0.1 is the same just with a quick hotfix built in. So we’ll primarily be focusing, in this article, about what Luma3DS is and the changelog for its 10th major release. Let’s dig in!
What is Luma3DS?
‘Luma3DS is a program to patch the system software of (New) Nintendo 3DS handheld consoles “on the fly”, adding features (such as per-game language settings and debugging capabilities for developers) and removing restrictions enforced by Nintendo (such as the region lock). It also allows you to run unauthorized (“homebrew”) content by removing signature checks. To use it, you will need a console capable of running homebrew software on the ARM9 processor…Since Luma3DS v8.0, Luma3DS has its own in-game menu, triggerable by
Changelog for Luma3DS 10:
- New feature: NTP client
- Located in the “miscellaneous” Rosalina submenu, this fetches the time from time1.google.com (hardcoded IP) by default
- This sets the config savefile RTC offset 0, hence the displayed by Home Menu will also be the time that Arm9 programs like GM9 will see
- Consequently, Luma3DS’s own Arm9 code will properly set the date and time when modifying or creating new files
- New feature: blue light filters (thanks to @panicbit, #1065)
- Lots of cheat engine bugfixes and improvements thanks to @piepie62 (multiple PRs), in addition to @tstambaugh92 ‘s bugfixes (#1116, #1117)
- most CTRPF-AR code types now supported
- more cheats can be loaded at once
- New reimplemented sysmodule: pm
- Number of max. pm:dbg sessions increased for Rosalina usage
- New pm:dbg commands: GetCurrentAppTitleIdAndPid, DebugNextApplicationByForce, LaunchTitleDebug (mainly for gdbstub usage)
- Debug restrictions lifted for the gdbstub
- Service restrictions lifted for Cubic Ninja
- Lots of gdbstub improvements:
- Added support for debugging application at their very start (new option in Debugger submenu)
- Added support for
- You do not need to select a process to attach to in process list anymore using this, although it still works absolutely fine
- You will see a nice process list in IDA
- When launching new processes: only
titleId [mediaType [launchFlags]]is supported, and the launched title shouldn’t rely on APT and all 3 parameters should be hex-encoded (see e11cc09)
- Added support for accessing host files (including stdin/stdio/stderr) from target 3DS programs. Support for it has been added in libctru
- Added support for accessing target SD-card files from the host (
- Doubled packet size
- Many bugfixes
- Fixed critical bugs in sm: one causing a crash when launching the camera applet when another title was using the camera, another possibly affecting sleep mode
- Fixed a critical bug where Luma3DS’s Arm9 code would spam I2C requests, causing some particular commits of popular Arm9 payloads to fail on New3DS units with IPS screens.
If the issue still arises, put multiple payloads in the folder and use the chainloader menu to work around it
- Reworked build system. Armips is no longer required.
- Always dump errdisp errors to
- Upgraded FatFs to R0.13c
- Upgraded I2C driver in Arm9 code
- Fix screens not working on firmlaunch, firmlaunch errors will now be displayed on screen
- Patch 11.8+ NIM-related Process9 to send all-zero key and IV when the UNITINFO patch is enabled (thanks to @luigoalma, #1142)
- Hide EmuNAND options when there is no EmuNAND present on the console
- Fix minor bugs involving DS(i) title autoloading
- Many other bugfixes
- Note: the pm reimplementation currently breaks NTR CFW to some extent (in particular game plugins). The abandoned “NTR CFW” is now unsupported, even if it may work.
- A solution for future versions is being worked on.
- It may be possible to change NTR CFW source code for it not to inject itself into pm, since Luma3DS removes svc permission checks anyway, to mitigate the issue. We do not have the time to do that ourselves
- It is not possible to disable custom pm
- Fix process list memory viewer
- Fix NTP client not setting time and date correctly due to one RTC not properly being set to 0. Also fix one related UI bug
- Merge #1266
Changelog for Luma3DS 10.0.1:
This is a hotfix release, with critical regression bugfixes and no new features. Users are strongly advised to upgrade.
- Fix LayeredFS
- Fix N3DS-specific applications improperly closing
Where to Download:
You can find the downloads for 10 and 10.0.1 by clicking here. It may be that by the time you visit there will be even newer releases. Always just download the newest version and you should be fine. If it doesn’t work, try the version before it.