Today Sony finally announced they are officially closing the PlayStation 3, PSVita, and PSP store. On July 2nd, 2021 the PS3 store will be officially closed and for the PSVita it will be on August 27th, 2021. Even though the PSP store has been closed since 2016 the remaining purchase functionality for the PSP was still working, on July 2nd, 2021 that will finally be retired. Also, the PSVita messaging service will no longer work as of June 28th, 2021. Although the messaging service on PSVita is going away, your messages will still be available to you by using the messaging service on PS5, PS4, or on the PS App.
Most of us knew it was just a matter of time before they were going to take down the PS3 and PSVita. Truthfully, I don’t think the PSVita store has been maintained for the last 5 years as Sony treated that device like a red-headed stepchild. All they cared about was blocking exploits for the past 5 years and the only reason that device saw any updates. For the PS3 it was inevitable that the store was going to be shut down with the release of the PS5. So don’t worry, you’ll still be able to download your content via the download list.
So what does this mean for you?
- You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita, and PSP digital content, including games and video content.
- You will also no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP.
- While the PSP storefront was previously closed in 2016, the remaining PSP purchase functionality (e.g. in-game purchases) will now be fully retired.
What about the content you already own?
- You will still be able to download your owned PS3, PS Vita, and PSP content, including games and video content.
- You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.
- If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device.
- Video content that you own can be streamed on PS3, PS4 or PS5 through the My Videos app, or on mobile devices through the PlayStation™Video app.
- You will still be able to re-download and play game titles you have claimed through PlayStation®Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.
What about vouchers, wallet funds, and cross-buy content?
- You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation®Plus vouchers on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
- You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
- Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
- You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.