How to install custom (Re-Birth) Homebrew Bubbles [Outdated!]
As it seems alot of people can't get this to work!
Please understand that this is not an easy trick. It may work and then again not. Please consider this, following the tutorial.
Note: Make a CMA backup of your Basegame first!
Step 1: Dumping your app.db file
1) Send yourself an e-mail with the following support_uri as link:
2) Open your E-mail App on the Vita, wait for the mail and click on the link
3) Now just type in your e-mail address again and send back this e-mail with the app.db file as attachment. You will notice the E-Mail app close itself, thats normal and supposed to happen! :)
4) Retrieve the dumped app.db file with your PC's e-mail client and just leave it on your desktop for now..
Step 2: Dumping/Downloading your basegame (EBOOT.PBP)
To install a custom re-birth bubble we need to once again sign the homebrew we want to use with a basegame. In order to sign it we need to dump our installed basegame from the Vita first.
So which is the best Basegame to go with? Basically every full PSP game should work (no Minis/PS1 games). Just make sure to pick a small one like Numblast, UNO or similar.
Note: I'm going with the Game Numblast (NPEG00011) for this tutorial.
method 1: If you have VHBL, ARK, VitaFTP or whatever running already
method 2: If you have no exploit game and no access to VHBL/ARK
Rename it to its titleID for example, NPEG00011.PBP
Step 3: Converting and patching your Homebrew
For this tutorial we're going to use the VitaFTP Homebrew App.
(Alternatively download this VitaFTP.iso directly and proceed with Step 4)
6) Open EBOOT2ISO1_1.exe and select your Homebrew's EBOOT.PBP
7) It should output a PSP_GAME-folder. Go to SYSDIR
8) Now take the EBOOT.BIN, move it to our sign EBOOT.BIN Files folder and run the .bat file
9) The generated EBOOT_.BIN is now signed! Move it back to PSP_GAME/SYSDIR/ and delete the "_"
10) Next up we need to turn this folder into an actual .ISO file. -> Download UMDGen v4.00.exe (1.22 MB) and start it!
11) Simply drag and drop the PSP_GAME-folder into the programm and save it as uncompressed iso -> vitaftp.iso
Step 4: Signing your Homebrew
12) Download SignFakeNPExpert.rar and extract it if you haven't already
13) Drag&drop the basegame's NPEG00011.PBP and our .iso into the appropriate fields
(Alternatively move the Basegame PBP to the bases folder for later use.)
Note: If you want a custom bootscreen select a STARTDAT.PNG! (samples here!)
14) Tick use Fakenp Mode, hit the small saveicon and save your successfully fake-signed Homebrew- EBOOT.PBP
Step 5: Installing your signed Homebrew via a Savegame
16) Choose any PSP savegame you don't actively need or download some random one from the internet
17) Create a new folder in said savegame, called VitaFTP or whatever and copy the signed EBOOT.PBP into it.
18) Transfer the savegame via QCMA to your Vita. (Note: Sony's official CMA will NOT work!)
Step 6: Modifying the app.db file
19) Back on the PC we can now start the SqliteBrowser, open our app.db file..
..go to Browse Data and select tbl_appinfo from the dropdown menu.
20) Sort by titleID and search for your basegames titleID
21) Apply the following changes:
Change the Category (key:566916785) to mba
Change the location (key:3022202214) to vs0:app/NPXS10028/eboot.bin
Change the path (key:2593862978) to:
22) When you're done hit Write Changes and close the programm.
Step 7: Changing the Bubbles appearance
23) Simply put a customized PBOOT.PBP file next to the basegame in PSP/GAME/ via the mail installer. (Just like with the old Bubbles)
Here is a VitaFTP pboot: Download
(don't forget to hex edit the gameID to match your BaseGame)
Step 8: (Re)Installing the modified app.db file
24) The very first thing to do now is to simply rename the 'app.db' file to '#0' without any file-ending!
25) Now we are going to write a new e-mail with the #0-file as attachment and the path we want the file to be installed as Subject. Send it to your vita!
26) If everything worked right you should see a camera symbol. Touch it and DO NOT click OK on the appearing Error Message but simply close the e-mail app completely!
27) Restart your Vita and your custom re-birth bubble should be set up! Done!
If the bubble auto exits after the bootscreen, the signing process has failed or the .iso file may be corrupt!
Try with another basegame or with this 100% working VitaFTP.iso first.
If an error appears the activation of your Basegame may got corrupted!
Redownload / recopy from a CMA backup and try again.
Alternatively: Video Tutorial by The Zett via youtube
VitaFTP Homebrew (via wololo.net)
[Collection] Custom STARTDAT.PNG BootScreens (via hackinformer.com)
FAQ & Troubleshooting
My Vita performs a database refresh when restarting at the last step.
This means the app.db got corrupted somehow. Restart at Step 5
My Bubble didn't change its appearance?!
Refresh the database by removing the memory stick.
My Bubble says: Cannot start this application?!
Try redo the whole process or use a diferent BaseGame.
My Bubble starts but exits after I see the startdat.png?!
The signing process failed. Retry or use a different BaseGame.
My e-mail shows a [?] instead of the photo symbol?!
Try resetting the Vita's mail account or resend the mail.